2019 Carlisle, Two Acres Red Wine California USA

$67.99 USD

Please note that the image is of a representative bottle. For images of the actual bottle, please contact the store.

Winemaker Notes
A true gem in Sonoma County! There is little old-vine Mourvèdre in Sonoma County. Yet, here we have two acres of predominantly Mourvèdre planted in 1910. Other varieties planted include Petite Sirah (10%), Syrah (6%), Carignan (4%), Peloursin (3%), and Alicante Bouschet (2%). There are also a few Zinfandel vines in addition to nine whites of a variety called Helena (a white cross of Zinfandel and Mondeuse noir).
This vineyard was on the brink of death when we took it over in 1996 but slowly and surely we have brought it back to life. We completed its renovation in 2003 by replacing all missing vines. Most of the replants were Mourvèdre but we did include a few Syrah vines.
The Two Acre's refers to two acres of old vine Mourvedre planted back in 1910 in Sonoma County, something that is more than difficult to come by. In 1996 Carlisle took over this vineyard which was on the brink of death, replanting certain parts and feeding the enticing potential that lurked within each gnarly head. The vines grow upon beds of clay-heavy Heihica loam soil. The blend is roughly 90% Mourvedre with the remaining 10% a combination of various black fruits. The wine is bottled without fining or filtration.Aromatically this wine has nuances of sweet red cherries, red licorice, game meat as well as delicate rose petals. On the palate, the wine has continued flavors of sweet cherries, cured meats, an outdoorsy spicy as well as a chewy mouthfeel.


Rated 93 points Jeb Dunnuck
I’ve always loved the Two Acres cuvée from Officer, and his Two Acres doesn’t disappoint, although I think it’s a small step back from the 2018. Mostly Mourvèdre from deep loam and clay soils, it offers tons of smoked dark fruits, licorice, olive, and plenty of meatiness to go with a ripe, textured, sexy style on the palate.

Rated 92 points Wine Spectator
Refines and tames a gutsy personality, bringing polish to expressive blackberry, wild game and smoked pepper flavors that build toward broad-shouldered tannins.

Rated 90-92 points Vinous
The Mourvèdre-based 2018 Two Acres is creamy, supple and inviting. Soft contours and silky tannins add to the wine racy personality and overall appeal. Labor Day heat spikes bumped up the amount of Mourvèdre and lowered the mixed blacks. This is another delicious wine from Carlisle.