Sparkling Wine, Valentine
This week we’ll be taking a break from talking about environmentally friendly wines. Instead, we’ll be discussing romantically friendly wines for this upcoming Valentine’s Day.
Everyone loves to pop bubbly for special occasions, but champagne (and all sparkling wines), are always a perfect selection for a romantic rendezvous. Champagne has been stunning the minds of wine lovers for centuries. Cupid shared five facts about the vast and beautiful world of sparkling wines that I’d like to pass along.
- Sparkling wine actually makes you feel more bubbly more quickly! According to a study conducted in 2001 at the University of Surrey in the United Kingdom, sparkling wines are absorbed into the bloodstream 18% quicker than are still wines.
- Don’t always go for the flute. If you want to experience sparkling wine to the fullest extent, you should grab a normal white wine glass with an ample bowl. This will allow the fullest extent of the aromatic profile to shine. Fun fact: in case you prefer an even more ancient tradition, the shape of the ‘coupe’ glass was inspired by the breast of Marie Antoinette!
- Studies have unveiled that it is actually the bubbles themselves in sparkling wines, not the wine itself, which carry the majority of the aromatic sensations to your nose. The bubbles themselves actually are direct shuttles for most of the pleasant aromas you experience when drinking sparkling wines.
- Depending on temperature, corks can be shot out of bottles of sparkling wine at up to 60mph! Many injuries and even deaths have been sustained as a result of poorly pointed bottles when the cork goes-a-flying. In fact, on average, 24 people die annually in the US from mis-shot corks.
- Depending on the particular wine (and particularly for Champagne), the pressure inside of a bottle of sparkling wine can be anywhere between 70 and 90 pounds per square inch. That’s as much pressure as a city bus tire! And hopefully as much pressure Cupid’s got you under to see your date this Valentine’s.
Now go share a newfound fact with your date, and remember, don’t forget to snag some bubbly for the occasion! Ciao.